Monday, September 28, 2009

Where It Started

Last Saturday we paid a visit to the place where it all started. The first thing I noticed was a large warning sign at the entrance of the beach. It looked very old and rusted, but nonetheless it was very clear. It warned people of the dangers and deaths of this beach. Despite this sign, there were still surfers and little children at this beach.

No further did we walk down the sand we saw the rocks where they found my uncle's body. It was so close. So close to the entrance. My uncles who went for the search that day pointed to a distant spot out into the ocean and said that was where the helicopter found my dad. His body had drifted so far out. We decided to walk to the spot where they pulled my dad's body out of the water. It was a 0.8 mile walk on the sand.

All along the walk we noticed a graveyard of logs on the sand. It was washed up ashore from the devastating August 8th Typhoon in Mid and Southern Taiwan. The debris made its way all the way up to this northern most tip of Taiwan. All thru the walk we noticed there were debris in the ocean still making it's way up. It's been a month and a half since the typhoon. I can only speculate how much drifting logs were around when my dad and uncle were here. I can only speculate how these logs may play a part in their deaths.














we noticed a lot of these fellows washed up ashore, dead.


No comments: