Saturday, December 18, 2010

Tokyo 7-7 Coffee Shop

Around this time two years ago, I decided to make a list of things to do/places to go before the end of the year. I researched for staple restaurants in Culver City and discovered this place called Tokyo 7-7 Coffee Shop. Its owners and chefs are Japanese, but they serve mainly American breakfast and lunch, from bacon and eggs to burgers at a very affordable price. It had been in business for over 30 years. The new Downtown Culver City built itself around this little restaurant. It is nestled within a large parking structure surrounded by the backdoors of restaurants and shops. It's a bit tricky to find, and you'd have to walk into an alley to see this little building.

My list went pretty well until the 31st of December, 2008, the very last day to cross off everything from the list. I woke up super early that day, excited to be going to this Tokyo 7-7 Coffee Shop that I've anticipated for so long. When I finally found the place, I was disappointed to find it closed and a sign reading they will return Jan. 5th. I couldn't complete my To Do List that year. I was bummed out, but at least I knew I tried.

The following year, late one night, I received a terrible phone call about my uncle's death, and my dad's disappearance at the beach. My sis, her boyfriend, and I didn't sleep the rest of the night. The following morning we decided we should feed ourselves and replenish our energy. We went to Tokyo 7-7 Coffee Shop for some comforting breakfast. It's a very old diner with old laminated, dark, wooden walls decorated with vintage Japanese memorabilia. It's as if time stopped moving forward in there. The food tasted of home, like something grandma would whip up. Something simple without being pretentious at all. It was comforting.

Last night, I got a call from my sis saying today will be the last day this place will be in business. It was very sad news. Although I've only eaten there once, I've already had a connection with this place, and it was very hard to hear this news. We arrived for breakfast this gloomy, rainy morning and said our goodbyes.

Goodbye Tokyo 7-7 Coffee Shop. You are beloved by many, and will truly be missed.


It's nestled within new shops and restaurants and a large parking structure. You'd have to walk into an alley to get to this place.












December 31, 2008. It was closed for the Holidays.
























I was unable to complete my list that year.












Today, December 18th, 2010. The last business day for Tokyo 7-7.














No comments: